If you’ve never commissioned a painting before and you would like to know how the process works, please follow these easy steps:
MORE DETAILS ABOUT EACH STEP:
1. Contact me
Provide the following information in your message if you can:
– the size of the painting
– the medium (oil or watercolor)
– If you have some special requests such as a specific background, please provide pictures of it or a description. The background can also be a pattern or a plain color of your choice.
– attach your favorite pictures of a subject. The more the better. Eye level pictures are preferred for portraits
– If you need the painting by a certain deadline (e.g. birthday, wedding, anniversary, etc.), please let me know.
2. Submit the first payment
Submit 50% of the total price after the idea, size and price have been confirmed. PayPal or Venmo are preferred, but a check or other payment option can be considered if needed.
If you’re ordering a custom pet portrait you can see size and style options and pay a deposit on this page.
3. Work in progress
Once the first payment has been made, I start working on the sketches. Up to 5 sketches are included in the price. Sketches are a very important part of the process if the client wants to incorporate several pictures into one painting (e.g. two siblings together in a painting from separate photographs).
After the final sketch (optional) has been approved, the work on the painting starts. A watercolor painting is usually completed within 1-2 weeks. An oil painting on average takes around 2-4 weeks to complete, depending on the complexity and the size of the artwork.
I take pictures of the progress that will be emailed to you at the end. The pictures also show proof that the painting wasn’t created by just painting over a printed photograph, which is a very common scam these days.
A video of the progress can be made on request for an additional $199, see an example here.
4. Final approval and payment
As soon as the painting is complete, I email the pictures of the painting to the client. Up to 3 minor corrections can be made at no additional charge.
Complete the final payment – the remaining 50% + shipping if needed.
The mural custom painting has a very similar process. Feel free to contact if you have any questions.